Frequently asked questions


Can I get an ePassport even though I already have a valid passport?


In most cases, your passport must have less than 12 months validity remaining before you can submit a new application. However, you are allowed to submit a new application if you wish to replace your non-electronic passport with an ePassport, even if your current passport has more than 12 months remaining. You will be required to pay the full fee. You must also provide a written explanation as to why you are applying at this time (for example, to obtain a new ePassport).

Please note that there is no requirement to replace your valid non-electronic passport with an ePassport. Canadian passports that do not contain an electronic chip are highly secure and will still be valid until they expire.

Don't see your answer here?

Look for your question on the Frequently asked questions main page.