April 24, 2009

The Government of Canada encourages Canadians living in the U.S. to prepare for new travel document requirements coming into effect June 1, 2009

As of June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens will be required to present a valid passport, a NEXUS or Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card, or an enhanced driver's licence/enhanced identification card when seeking to enter the United States at its land or water crossings. Canadian citizens 15 years of age or under will only require proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or a Canadian citizenship card. Canadian citizens 18 years of age or under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent may also present proof of Canadian citizenship alone.

The U.S. document requirements for air travel came into effect in January 2007, and require Canadian citizens flying to, through or from the United States to present a valid passport or a valid NEXUS card when used at a NEXUS kiosk at participating Canadian airports or at any U.S. airport when returning to Canada. The air travel requirements apply to all Canadian citizens, regardless of age, including children.

To apply for a passport, visit Passport Canada’s website and fill out an interactive application form. You may also print out the form and fill it out by hand. Application forms may also be obtained in person at any Government of Canada office in the United States.

The Canadian passport is the most reliable travel document for Canadian citizens and the only proof of your nationality and identity that is accepted in all countries. For more information, please visit